8/5/18

Monday Morning Offering: 8/6


Image: George Mendoza

Good morning, good God!

Well, as you know, Lord, I'm on vacation
and I'm grateful for this time away, this time off,
grateful for the work that's mine,
for my share in the work that's ever yours...

I'm grateful for my staff and parish ministers
whose good hearts and open arms
hold gently all the people
you've entrusted to our care;
and for brother priests
who'll in my place preach and pray
at the table of your altar...

I pray this morning, Lord,
for those without a job
from which to take vacation
and for those who look for work
and for the overworked
who need some time to rest...

Let me not, for even a moment,
take for granted, Lord,
the gift that is the work that's mine:
make me grateful for this time of rest,
refresh me in your Spirit...

I think of all the times you rested, Lord,
taking your leave from all the crowds,
heading out of the city, into the desert,
up the mountain, to the other side of the sea,
off by yourself or with just a few friends,
to rest, relax and pray...

I wonder at how you waited some 30 years
before beginning the work you came to do...

I remember your words to Martha
when you told her that Mary, her sister,
had chosen the better part:
sitting quietly by your side, to be near you,
to listen for your voice,
to hear your word,
to simply be with you...

Slow me down, Lord,
'til the busyness speeding inside me
settles to a pace and peace
that lets me be with you
in that quiet place within
where your heart speaks to mine...

At work or on vacation, Lord,
make part of every day I have
a time for prayer,
a time for slowing down,
a time to rest and grow
in the love you offer me...

I offer you my time away, Lord,
I offer my vacation:
let me find anew the peace
of being at your side,
remembering, day by day,
how you are always right by mine...

Receive this morning offering, Lord,
and when vacation's done
bring me safely home,
rested and refreshed
in your Spirit and your grace...

Amen.





     
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!