6/29/20

NIGHT PRAYER: Monday 6/29



Last night, Lord, 
I prayed about the thunder and lightening 
and all the rain it brought...

I was waiting for the calm after the storm but it turns out there was no calm after the storm
but rather - jut another storm!

This turns my heart to folks I know, Lord,
who've weathered far too many storms
and who know that often, the calm after the storm 
isn't calm at all -- it's just another storm...

So I want to pray tonight, Lord, 
for all whose plates are piled high with cares,
whose hearts are burdened more than most,
whose problems come in bunches,
who try so hard but just can't seem to catch a break
- through no fault of their own...

I pray for folks who wait their turn that never seems to come,
who try and try again, refusing to give up,
who seek another chance, a new beginning,
who wait in hope - whatever comes their way,
who long to hear good news, a word of comfort,
who wait to find the calm,
once another storm has passed them by...

It's been a spring and summer, Lord, when, in so many ways, 
storm has followed storm after storm:
now all of us are waiting for the calm to finally come
and some have waited much longer than have others,
they've been waiting for years and years...

We've learned to weather the tempests, Lord,
now deepen our trust that peace will come:
let no storm shake our inmost calm
while in our hope to you we cling...

Protect us, Lord, as we lie awake
and watch over us as we sleep
that awake, we may keep watch with you
and asleep, rest calmly in your peace...

Amen.

How Can I Keep From Singing sung by James Loynes
 
My life flows on in endless song;
Above earth's lamentation,
I hear the sweet, tho' far-off hymn
That hails a new creation;
Thro' all the tumult and the strife
I hear the music ringing;
It finds an echo in my soul—
How can I keep from singing?
What tho' my joys and comforts die?
The Lord my Saviour liveth;
What tho' the darkness gather round?
Songs in the night he giveth.
No storm can shake my inmost calm
While to that refuge clinging;
Since Christ is Lord of heaven and earth,
How can I keep from singing?
I lift my eyes; the cloud grows thin;
I see the blue above it;
And day by day this pathway smooths,
Since first I learned to love it,
The peace of Christ makes fresh my heart,
A fountain ever springing;
All things are mine since I am his—
How can I keep from singing!



  

  
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!