8/31/20

Monday Morning Offering: 8/31

Morning Coffee by George Mendoza


O God - it's morning!
And once again,
   you're up before I am!

It never fails: I turn off the alarm clock
and there you are, sitting at the foot of my bed,
waiting, watching, wanting to be
the first thought of my day...

Forgive me, Lord,
but most days I don't have a first thought
until I've had my first cup of coffee.

So, please, be patient with me,
as you always are,
and give me time to wake up
to your presence...

Besides which, Lord,
it's not only early in the morning
- it's MONDAY morning!

Another week stretches ahead of me
and oh, how I wish the weekend
were another day longer...

Where am I going this week, Lord?
Where will you lead me?
What path will you chart for me?

When I start to go astray
or try to take the short-cut, Lord:
prod me, pull me, push me back
where I belong,
in the direction I should be heading,
even -and especially -
if the path you've chosen for me
is one I'm not so inclined to follow...

But most of all, walk with me, Lord!
Stay by my side and don't leave me alone:
guide me when I'm lost and confused...

When darkness shades my steps
shine your light upon my path...

When I'm lost and can't find the way,
teach me to stop and ask you for directions...

Whisper encouragement in my ears
when I don't want to take another step -
when I don't want to take the first step!

When the path I'm on frightens me,
give me your hand to hold...

When my spirit flags and my step slows,
pick up the pace and lead me...

When I need to make a turn, point me the right way
and teach me not to look back...

Take me down the just path, Lord;
lead me on the road to truth;
the highway of honesty;
give me strength to walk by your side
with integrity...

Help me to see that the only route worth taking
is the one that draws me to you
and leads me to love and serve my neighbor...

It's morning, Lord -
it's MONDAY morning, Lord,
and it's time to get up!

I offer you my day and my week and
- whaddaya say we get a cup of coffee?

Amen.




  

  
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!