5/26/23

NIGHT PRAYER: Friday 5/26


In preparation for Pentecost Sunday this weekend, we prayed last night with the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit. And tonight we'll pray with the 12 fruits of the Holy Spirit, the "harvest" my life can bring in when I'm open to the grace of the Spirit.  As we did last night, let's begin with a quick review of the 12 fruits of the Holy Spirit:
 
Love
    (love of God and love of neighbor 
        without desire of reward for myself)
Joy
    (happiness that comes not from my material possessions 
        but from my knowing and following Jesus)
Peace
        (the tranquility that comes from my reliance on God)
Patience
        (treating others with calm and congenial tolerance,
            with mercy and forgiveness) 
Kindness
        (the willingness to do more for others than they do for me:
            the Golden Rule) 
Goodness
        (the desire to do what's right, to avoid what's wrong
            to do God's will and to repent of sin)
Endurance
        (to bear with and live through the provocation of others,
            persevering  in faith over the course of my life)
Gentleness
        (choosing reconciliation over revenge;
            having a gracious and forgiving heart)
Faith
        (living according to the word and will of God,
            acknowledging God as the Lord of my life)
Modesty 
        (humbly acknowledging God as the source
            of my talents, gifts and blessings)
 Self-control
        (temperance and moderation in all I do,
            self-control of my natural appetites)
Chastity
        (exercising and taming my physical desires
            with respect to my state in life and the law of Christ)
         
Well, there's more fruit on that list, Lord,
    than hangs from the branches of my life
but I want to yield just such a harvest
    from my thoughts, my words and my deeds...

Open me, then, to the Spirit's power,
    open me wide to the Spirit's anointing;
let me bear fruit to feed and to nourish
    all whose paths cross mine...
 
Help me know what I need to prune
    to encourage the growth and the yield
of your Spirit's grace, quick in my heart,
    alive in my prayer and there for all...

Patience, kindness and goodness,
    love, joy, and peace,
gentleness, modesty, self-control,
    chastity, faith and endurance:
let these, your gifts be the harvest, Lord
    of your Spirit 's grace in my life...

Take a few moments to reflect:
    Which of the fruits of the Spirit
        do I most need to nurture
            in my daily Christian life?
   
Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
    and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
    and asleep, rest in your peace...
 
Amen.

You may initially think that tonight's song is an instrumental
- but just be patient - the lyrics will come!
 
Fruits of the Spirit  by Hillsong

If a video doesn't appear below, click here!
 
 
 
 

 

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!