8/25/23

NIGHT PRAYER: Friday 8/25



I was thinking today, Lord,
of all the things that won't matter
    - won't matter at all -
when I come to the end of my life...

And my list of these things is really long, Lord!
 
Things that won't matter...
 
    Every single thing I own...
     
    All the things I used to have 
        that I lost or broke or wasted...
     
    Everything I wanted to have
        but didn't end up getting...

    All the things that brought me closer to you, Lord,
        and the things that came between us...
 
    All the stuff, the bling, the junk, the toys,
        the baubles and the bangles,
    all the miscellaneous thingamajigs,
        the souvenirs and the trinkets...

    And the treasures, too, the pricey stuff 
        I bought - or put on plastic -
    things collected, stored, insured
        while others went without...

    And the money things: 
        the stocks, the bonds, sitting in safe places: 
    my money making more money
        - for me to leave behind...
 
Yes, I was thinking today of all the things
   that in the end won't matter
and thinking, too, of what will last
    when all my things have had their day...
 
Then, there'll just be love, 
    the only thing that lasts, endures, survives:
the love I found, the love I gave,
    the love I took, the love I shared...
 
Your love, O Lord, creating me,
    sustaining and forgiving me;
your love to fill my emptiness,
    to lift up, heal and hold me...

Your love to call me home to love,
    to leave all else behind,
your love to be my path to peace
    with you, in love, forever more...
 
Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
    and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
    and asleep, rest in your peace...
 
Amen.
 
Tonight's music may be a little upbeat for the end of the day,
but the lyrics are good 24/7!
 
Love God Love People by Danny Gokey

If a video doesn't appear below, click here!
 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!