8/10/07

And now, the end is near...


Photo by Markus Nillson

Yes, as old Blue Eyes used to sing, I'm facing the "final curtain" on my vacation. It's cool and rainy at the tip of the Cape so packing things up isn't as difficult as it might be were this another of the warm and sunny days I've enjoyed for two weeks now.

The day before yesterday I began looking at this weekend's scriptures to let them stew in my mind, heart, imagination and experience in preparation for preaching this weekend. Here are the texts: what might you say in a homily based on these scriptures?

At least take a peek - that's a wonderful way to prepare for celebrating the Eucharist on the Lord's Day.

As they say: See you in church!

5 comments:

  1. If I were to preach on the readings for this Sunday, I would preach on how to keep from losing your faith in the face of adversity. How do the parents of the 6yr old girl raped and killed by her own cousin, keep believing in goodness? When a person's life goes along without many bumps along the way, it is much easier to accept and believe God will always be there for you. But when life is tragic, violent, and seemingly hopeless; I believe it is much harder to believe in the power of God and God's love for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sami! Your comment is part of my homily this weekend and I'm grateful for your input.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea for preaching Sami. In this crazy world, one of the hardest things to do is hold on to one's faith. There are so many instances that in the face of adversity, keep testing our faith. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. They are right on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sami: Just wanted to let you know that your homily ideas generated a homily which received much good feedback - thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!