3/3/08

Tuesday of the Fourth Week of Lent



Forgiveness by Christine Peloquin (click on image for larger version)

A recent post on the sacrament of reconciliation prompted a number of comments. This passage from J-Ruth Gendler images forgiveness in the feminine - and beautifully so. Peloquin's image of forgiveness pairs well with the text below. What draws me to Gendler's description is her tactile understanding of forgiveness. There are those who prefer to seek forgiveness while alone in God's presence. Gendler's forgiveness is human, "earthy and direct," coming with tokens, outward signs, of pardon and peace.

Forgiveness is a strong woman,
tender and earthy and direct.

Since her children have left home,
she has embarked on an extended walking tour,
vising ruins and old monuments,
bathing in rivers and hot springs,
traveling through small towns and large pulsing cities,
tracing the current of sorrow under the stories she hears.

Sometimes
the city authorities don't want her within their gates.
If the people want her there enough,
she always manages to find a way inside.

Forgiveness brings gifts wherever she goes.
Simple ones,
a three-stranded twig with leaves turning yellow,
a belt she wove on an inkle loom,
a little song that grows inside you
and changes everything.

She brought me a silver ring from the South
with a pale stone, pink with a hint of brown.
When I had asthma, she taught me how to breathe.

- by J-Ruth Gendler in The Book of Qualities

6 comments:

  1. Concord Pastor, thanks for commenting on my blog.
    Just something else for the reconciliation thread...
    Though good Catholics won't understand it, I don't go to Mass much at all. But despite that, there is something in me that longs for reconciliation. The other day when I was talking to a priest, I was sharing with him some prayers, songs etc that I will take with me soon on my trip to Europe. He was really genuinely interested in what I had chosen. There was something in our sharing that was 'reconciling' for me. It wasn't the sacrament, but in the presence of this priest, I was brought closer to God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good Catholic owes you charity, (caritas) and the kind of understanding that does not mean the same thing as comprehension, whether or not you attend Mass very often. There could be people who attend Mass consistently who may or may not be good Catholics or good people. Myself, I know I'll never be able to say confidently that I am a good Catholic, only that I'm a Catholic!
    I hope some day you can tell that priest what he did for you. Priests must soemtimes wonder if they ever make a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maeve, I have already been able to tell this priest (by e-mail) how valuable I found our talk. I know, as a teacher, how much I always appreciate it when parents tell me how much they have valued things I have done for their children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kiwi Nomad,

    That priest must have been thrilled! Kiwi - do you have New Zealand roots? I have given up the dream of my youth to see Australia and New Zealand, having grown old (the flight is too long) and never having grown richer!
    Anyway, they are fascinating places.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kiwi,
    That priest must have been thrilled! And God bless you for teaching, one of the professions I most admire.
    (I wrote you a slightly longer comment, but it vanished into cyberspace!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was born and bred here in New Zealand.... and have lived here nearly all of my life... except for my little overseas adventures!

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!