3/15/10

Father and Son? -OR- Brother and Brother?


Retour de l'Enfant Prodigue by Michel Ciry

I posted this painting yesterday. As you know, I've been really taken by the different artistic expressions of the story of the prodigal son.

Now come some thought-provoking comments (on and off blog, printed here with permission) from Greg Kandra at his Deacon's Bench. I want to share these with you and invite you to take another look at Ciry's painting. Here's what Deacon Greg wrote:
Are you sure that's actually the Father and Son? They both look so young, I can't help but wonder if it's actually the two brothers... (And then it is up to the viewer to determine which is which.)

And you could interpret the looks in their eyes in some VERY interesting ways... depending on which you think is actually the prodigal!

Food for thought...

What do you think?



Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

1 comment:

  1. Hi Fr Austin,
    Mmmmmm. yep ....brothers in arms here.
    At first I thought the wizened one on the left with downcast eyes was the prodigal and the healthier well fed looking one on the right was the other jealous brother.
    But I am not so sure now because if I believe in the parable then I suppose I would expect the prodigal to have a look of redemption about him after having shown remorse and that would make him the one on the right and the jealous resentful brother the one on the left. Interesting, innit ??
    Godbless
    Phil

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!