5/13/10

Pentecost 2010 Novena - Day 1


Image by Down East Stained Glass

The oldest novena is the prayer of the first disciples (Mary, the apostles and other believers) from the time Jesus ascended to his Father (40 days after Easter) to the feast of Pentecost. These nine days are a time for us to pray for the coming of the Spirit upon the Church and upon each of us. Each day of the novena you will find a post with scripture and prayer for that day. For your prayer, I've added a widget at the top of the sidebar with 17 musical selections for Pentecost.



Pentecost Novena to the Holy Spirit - Day 1


From the scriptures:
Amen, amen, I say to you,
you will weep and mourn, while the world rejoices;

you will grieve, but your grief will become joy.
When a woman is in labor,
she is in anguish because her hour has arrived;

but when she has given birth to a child,
she no longer remembers the pain because of her joy
that a child has been born into the world.
So you also are now in anguish.
But I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice,
and no one will take your joy away from you.
John 16:20-23

For reflection...

• Who are the suffering, the anguished and the grieving
for whose health, healing and comfort I will pray this day?

• Whose suffering might I be able to help relieve
by reaching out in word and deed?

• In whom, in what does my heart rejoice?
For what joys will I thank God today?

• What will I pray for the Church today?

• The Gifts of the Holy Spirit (as they are named in the Rite of Confirmation) include: --> wisdom... the spirit of understanding and right judgment... courage... the spirit of knowledge and reverence... and the spirit of wonder and awe in God's presence... For which of these gifts will I pray today?

• Choose one the songs from the top of the sidebar and make it part of this day's prayer...

Let us pray:
Come, Holy Spirit of God!
Console the hearts of the anguished,
heal their suffering in their hour of pain,
and be the joy of those who have found your peace.

Come, Holy Spirit,
fill the hearts of your people
and kindle in us the fire of your love.

Send forth your Spirit and we shall be created
and you will renew the face of the earth.

Our Father... Hail Mary... Glory be...
Novena 2009

Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

2 comments:

  1. I am showing up in my work ID, but I just did want to thank you for this.

    We had that big catechetical event all week in this diocese, so I did not get to work on doing a novena for either of my blogs... So I will link to both of you from them via a post today and the sidebar for the remainder.

    Thank you for this. It is beautiful and I love the musci widget too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This morning I chose the last musical selection, "Spirit of the Living God," which includes the refrain, "Spirit of the Living God, fall fresh on me." Amen! For myself, and for the whole Church.

    To echo the previous comment: Thank you for this. Your blog is a wonderful spiritual tool.

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!