3/12/12

Praying 10 Minutes a Day:Third Week/Monday

Image by Willow Tree


When the deacon was proclaiming the gospel at Mass on Saturday evening, I had a flashback to my youth and something my father used to do.  After Sunday Mass, my dad would sometimes ask me questions about the day's gospel - at least in part, I'm sure, to find out if I'd been listening!  But he'd do more than quiz me - he'd make sure that I understood what the story was about.  I can remember him teaching me about this weekend's gospel and which "temple" Jesus meant when he said he would rebuild in three days - and how that pointed to the resurrection...

My dad wasn't a Sunday school teacher in the classroom but he was often a catechist in the car on the way home from church...

A few years ago, in Lent, I noticed a dad walking around the church, explaining the Stations of the Cross to his young son who was with him.  That moment stirred good memories of my dad, too. 

So... who were your first teachers in the faith?  Who introduced you to prayer?  to church going?  to understanding life as a Catholic?

Were these instructors part of your childhood or did your beginnings in faith come later in life?

Are you a parent?  Do you recall the early lessons in faith you've taught to your children (or your grandchildren?)  In many different areas, the first lessons we learn are the ones that stay with us the longest...

In your 10 minutes of praying today...

Spend some time with the Lord remembering your first teachers in the faith...

Do you remember what they taught you?

How are those early lessons still a part of your faith today?

Take some time to thank the Lord for those who introduced you to the mysteries of Jesus and the life of the Church...

Are there children in your life with whom you might share your own faith?
Today might be a good time to pray for them
and to pray for the Lord to nudge you to share your faith with them...



Are you new to "Praying 10 Minutes a Day in Lent" - or are you having trouble getting started?  The first installment offers some thoughts on getting started, as do the subsequent posts in the series.  So take a look and join us!  
 



 

   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!