6/5/12

How confounding the human heart

Take My Heart by Gwen Meharg


For our hearts' sake

How complex, confounding and sometimes contrived
the affairs of the human heart.

I trust I'm not alone in thinking so:
often enough I've observed the same in you.

And when I have, I've tried, truly, to recognize
and reverence the pain that's yours because I know
what pain's been mine and know it well.

But there've been times I missed your hurt
or you missed mine, then added we, one to the other,
hurt instead of healing and harm where help was needed.

Will we, can we forgive our hearts,
for our hearts' sake,
for what our hearts have done to us?

Will I, can I forgive you now for my heart's pain
and ache for you?

Will you, can you forgive me now for what I've done
and failed to do for love of you?

How complex, confounding and sometimes contrived
the affairs of the human heart.
Only mercy, God knows this, will heal
the wounds I bear for you and you for me;
and only pardon free our hearts
to live or part in peace.



 

     
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!