7/13/18

Pause for Prayer: FRIDAY 7/13



A joyful reunion last night, Lord,
with two friends I first met 53 years ago
(when we entered the seminary together)
but whom I haven't been together with
since 1968!

As folks do after so many years,
the three of us remembered and shared some old stories:
stories of how our faith brought us together,
what we shared back then
and what the road's been like for each of us
over 5+ decades...

We've traveled different paths, for sure,
but we hold in common more than just the days we shared
at 350 South Huntington Avenue...

Our individual stories are stamped and blessed
with the sorrows and joys of any life
- but anointed with the grace of faith...

How much stronger, Lord,
are the bonds of friendship
when entwined with faith;
how much deeper
grows the joy of faith
when shared with friends...

Like finding a box of forgotten treasures in the attic,
our evening reopened the memories of old gifts:
it's true, Lord, that the truly wonderful things,
are always there for the sharing...

So this morning, Lord,
I'm pondering what might be the old treasures
in the attic of my faith in you,
my friendship with you...

Have I stored away memories of really beautiful times
when your love and grace
brought me help and healing and hope?

Have I forgotten some truly important moments
when our friendship, yours and mine,
was strong, solid and sustaining?

Help me never forget, Lord,
and teach me hold on to the treasured memories
of how you have loved me,
of my faith in you
of the bonds and joys I share with you…

For these memories
and the grace they bring anew
I thank and praise you...

And I pray for any who have forgotten your love, Lord,
and for any who may believe you have forgotten them:
may Spirit open their memories and their hearts
to the gifts, old and new, you have to offer them…

And thanks again, Lord,
for my time last night with Bill and Paul!
Keep us faithful to our pledge
not to wait another 50 years
before we get together again!

Amen.

 

     
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!