11/26/19

How I ended up buying 47 sweaters in 4 days at Lord and Taylor!


That's right: I bought 47 sweaters at Lord and Taylor - and here's the story...

I was shopping at Lord and Taylor and came across some sweaters on sale (see the cardigan above).  These sweaters were originally priced at $100 but were marked down to $65.  Not a bad deal!  But wait - there's more!  There was a sign over the sweaters that said another  25% would be taken off at the check-out.  All I had to do now was decide between charcoal or a dark blue - I chose the charcoal.

At the register the clerk totaled my sale and said, "Oh, these have another markdown, too, so that will be $9.95."  I couldn't believe my ears!  So I told her to wait a minute while I went back and got the blue sweater, too.  $200 worth of sweaters for $20 - I left the store as a very happy customer!

Once I got home I started thinking about my annual effort to assess what I spend on Christmas - by and large for people who don't really need anything.  I estimate what I'll spend on gifts, wrapping, decorations, food and drink and then give a percentage of that to charity.  That's when the thought crossed my mind that I could go back to Lord and Taylor and buy some nice warm sweaters and donate them to a shelter.  I liked the idea of buying some useful gifts that others might actually receive and open on Christmas rather than just writing a check.  So, another trip to the mall and I bought 10 more sweaters - and yes, they were still on sale for $9.95!

A day or so later, pleased with this great deal, I realized I could do more - so back to the mall I went and bought 20 more sweaters! If you're keeping count: I'm up to 32 sweaters worth $3200 for which I paid $320!

A day later... you guessed it!  I went back to Lord and Taylor intending to buy 10 more - but the cardigans on sale were sold out!  Not to worry: there were plenty of fine pullovers, originally priced at $80 but now on sale for - $9.95!  So, I bought 10 of those.



The sales clerk (to whom, at this point, I was no stranger) asked me if I'd be back the next day and I told her no, this was my last trip.  I now had 42 sweaters worth $4,000 for which I'd paid only $420!

I walked out to my car and began to drive away and asked myself, "Will I be coming back here tomorrow?"  When I realized I probably would return the next day I decided to save myself a trip to Burlington.  I parked my car, went back into the store and bought 5 more sweaters.  Deducting the original two I had bought for myself, I now had 45 great sweaters to give away, worth $4200, for which I'd paid only $450!

Why am I telling you this story?  For two reasons!

First: I ask you to add up what you'll spend on Christmas this year on gifts, wrapping, cards and postage, decorations, food and drink - by and large for people who don't really need any of this. Assess what you'll spend on Christmas and pledge to give a percentage of that amount to serve those in need

Second: Black Friday, Small Business Saturday and Cyber Monday are just ahead of us and you're going to find some really good deals out there.  Consider taking advantage of those sales and picking up some gifts you might donate to shelters or other agencies serving those in need.  I stumbled upon a really great find - keep your eyes open and maybe you'll find the same!

Today's Pause for Prayer

Lord, I have so much, so much stuff,
I have so much more than I need...
So for your birthday I pledge ___% of what I'll spend
on wrapping paper, decorations, cards and gifts,
tinsel and glitter, food and drink
- for others who have little need for all of this
while those who need so much still go without...
May I be near as generous with others, Lord,
as you have been with me...

Amen.


 

     
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!