9/4/20

Pause for Prayer: FRIDAY 9/4

Image source

My dwelling places are many, Lord:
   my house or apartment, my dorm or condo;
   my neighborhood, parish and local community;
   where I work, where I study, where I pray;
      my dwelling places are many....

First of all, I thank you, Lord,
   not only for so many dwelling places in my day
but for the gift at each day's end of a door
   to a place, to a room with a roof overhead,
      the place I call home, 
   whether large and spacious or small and cramped,
       a place to lay down my head at night and rest...

My dwelling may not be a castle, Lord,
   but how many in need would deem it a palace
for its locks and safety, its light and warmth, a fridge with food, 
   a shower and toilet, a bed and a pillow, an address for mail,
for it's being a place to return to each night
   for being a place to call home...

I thank you for my dwelling place, Lord:
   let me not take it for granted
      and keep me generously mindful
         of those who have no place they might call home...

And how lovely is your dwelling place,   
   O Lord of hosts...

Your dwelling is the universe and all the heavens
   - and beyond the heavens, Lord...

Your dwelling has no roof, no walls,
   no beginning and no end...

The beauty of your dwelling's beyond anything
   my mind might conceive or my dreams imagine
and yet - your dwelling place is with me and in me...

You who cannot be confined,
   you choose to dwell within my soul
      and make your home within my heart...

You, whom all creation can't contain,
   you enter my humble quarters,
      the spare, simple chambers of my heart,
   and there, in Spirit, make yourself at home...

And, Lord, as you can see,
   I'm seldom ready for company,
      for receiving any guests at all,
         let alone, you, the greatest guest of all...

So, please forgive me,
   (indeed, forgive me, Lord!)
for my house is not in order, not yet or ever ready
   to be a place where you might dwell
      a place you might call home...

And yet, you come, you enter and you stay
   and you don't leave, you don't go away,
      you remain within me, always,
and in making my heart your home
   you make of your heart a home for me...

Amen.

Image source

  

  
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!