10/21/20

NIGHT PRAYER: Wednesday 10/21

 
Lord, I love the perspective of my friend's photo here:
    the perspective of fallen leaves...
 
                                      Photo by John McGinty
 
These leaves have done their duty, Lord!
 
Last spring they budded barren branches,
waiting to unfold in leafy beauty
and fulfill their given task,
to shade us from the summer's sun,
providing refuge and a cooler place to sit,
read, picnic, hold a friend's hand
and carry on conversations meant to solve most
if not all of this world's problems...
 
Then, before retiring at summer's end, 
they made a costume change for fall's finale,
delighting us with glories 
only you, Lord, might have dreamed...

And now, 
our applause fades, hushed by autumn
as the leaves gently fall, one by one, 
landing on and weaving a tender carpet
where we tread softly, 
listening for that rustling sound,
October's parting song...

At the end of the season, Lord,
these fallen leaves look up to heaven,
searching for you, their Maker,
praying for the rest they've surely earned,
the rest they so deserve...
 
And so, at the end of this day,
I look up to the heavens, Lord,
searching for you, my Maker
as one day I'll look up at the end of my life 
when, like the leaves, my work all done
I'll pray I've earned the rest you promise,
that I'll deserve the peace for which I long...
 
Teach me the lesson of falling leaves, Lord,
and make the end of my day and the autumn of my days 
a time to fall gently into your arms,
into your mercy, into your heart...

Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
and watch over me when I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.

Tonight's music is instrumental,  a guitar solo by Martin Tallstrom, entitled Falling Leaves - Song for Autumn. Tallstrom has captured on his fret board the beauty and mystery of falling leaves.  As I listen to it, I imagine myself falling into bed, into sleep, at day's end -and- all who have fallen into God's hands, all who fell into God's peace today and those who will fall into eternal rest in the course of the night ahead...  The sound of the guitar, and the sound of our falling into God's embrace... may that sound be gentle, beautiful and peaceful beyond our imagining...



 
 
 

Tweet   

  
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!