4/23/22

NIGHT PRAYER: Saturday 4/23


Most of my prayer posts rely on the words of a prayer for their substance.  Additional graphics and audio are intended to enhance the written word.  Tonight, I offer you a variety of images of Thomas and Jesus, most of them influenced by Caravaggio's painting, The Incredulity of Thomas (just below this paragraph). Every year, the gospel on the Sunday after Easter tells, the story of Thomas.  I hope these images (some classical and some very contemporary) might pique your interest and lead you to spend some time with this coming Sunday's texts and commentary. A regular Night Prayer follows the images and - just in case there's too much doubt in this post - I've added a song to lift up our belief...

 
The Incredulity of Thomas by Caravaggio
 
The Doubting Thomas by Rocco Normanno


Incredulidad de Santo Tomas by Reubens

The Incredulity of Saint Thomas by Cope Amezcua

Doubting Thomas by John Gregory Granville


Image source     
            
    Doubting Thomas by Generic Art Solutions                   



                  Doubting Thomas by Jonathan Hilson 
                                                  









Resurrection by Peter Sheesley -with the artist's permission.





The Doubt of St. Thomas by He Qi

Doubting Thomas by Ben Steele

For some insightful commentary on Ben Steele's work (above) check out Anneke Majors' post at A Motley Vision.  Steele's subject and title form a visual pun playing on the work of Thomas Kinkade 

Doubting Thomas by Michael Smither
 
 NIGHT PRAYER
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

I'm a believer, Lord - you know that -
but you also know my doubts, my misgivings,
my unsurety, my skepticism, my distrust...
 
Sometimes my doubt leads me to probe and clarify
what I wasn't sure of, what I didn't understand,
what I struggled with
but sometimes my doubt leads me to confusion,
uncertainty and a kind of lonely fear
that leaves me wondering who I am, 
where I'm going and who goes with me on my way...

I believe, Lord: help my unbelief...

Give me the grace to explore my doubt,
trusting your Spirit to lead and guide me
to light, to wisdom, to truth
and most of all, Lord,
to you...
 
Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
and watch over me when I sleep
that awake I might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...
 
Amen.
 

 

I believe for every drop of rain that falls
A flower grows
I believe that somewhere in the darkest night
A candle glows
I believe for everyone who goes astray
Someone will come to show the way
I believe
I believe
I believe above the storm the smallest prayer
Will still be heard
I believe that someone in the great somewhere
Hears every word
Every time I hear a newborn baby cry
Or touch a leaf
Or see the sky
Then I know why
I believe
Every time I hear a newborn baby cry
Or touch a leaf
Or see the sky
Then I know why
I believe 

 


     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!