7/29/21

NIGHT PRAYER: Thursday 7/29

 
Lord, you call each of us to be (gulp) holy!
 
Truth be told - that kinda scares me
because one thing I know is how unholy
my thoughts and words and deeds can be...
 
But holy is the goal you set before me, Lord,
    holy is the path you challenge me to follow
        and holy is the way of life for which I was created...

Daunting - to say the least!
 
So I'm relieved to know, Lord, 
you're not calling me to the holiness of 
Saint Paul or Joan of Arc,
or Francis of Assisi or Katherine Drexel,
or Oscar Romero  or Maria Goretti
or Maximilian Kolbe or Teresa of Calcutta...
 
You called each of them
    in their own times, circumstances and struggles,
with their own 
    abilities, talents and personalities,
in spite of their own 
    faults, weaknesses and limitations,
and through
   the  seeds you planted in their hearts
    and the words you whispered in their prayer,
opening them to your Spirit
    moving deep within their souls
    in ways unique to each one moved...
    
I'm not called to be Paul or Joan, Oscar or Teresa:
I am called to be ____________________
                                       (your name here)
    in my own times, circumstances and struggles,
    with my own abilities, talents and personality,
    in spite of my faults, weaknesses and limitations...
 
You call me to be holy, Lord,
    through the seeds of faith you plant in my heart
    and the words you whisper in my prayer,
opening me to all the ways 
    your Spirit leads and guides
in ways unique to me
    and how you call me to be - holy...
 
I pray for all your saints to intercede for me, Lord:
    may their example help me see 
        how you're calling me
and how I might respond 
    in thought, word and deed
in my own life, through my story, on my own journey,
    as I make my way home to you and to your love...
 
Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake 
and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I may keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.
 
(If the musical widget doesn't appear below,
    click here!)  
 
(The language in tonight's song is a bit dated         
     - but the message is not...)
 
Take Time To Be Holy by William Dunn Longstaff 
    performed by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir 

 
Take time to be holy, speak oft with thy Lord;  
Abide in him always, and feed on his Word.  
Make friends of God’s children, help those who are weak, 
Forgetting in nothing his blessing to seek.  
 
Take time to be holy, the world rushes on;  
Spend much time in secret, with Jesus alone. 
 By looking to Jesus, like him thou shalt be;  
Thy friends in thy conduct his likeness shall see.  
 
Take time to be holy, let him be thy Guide;  
And run not before him, whatever betide. 
 In joy or in sorrow, still follow the Lord,  
And, looking to Jesus, still trust in His Word.  
 
Take time to be holy, be calm in thy soul, 
Each thought and each motive beneath his control.  
Thus led by his Spirit to fountains of love,  
Thou soon shalt be fitted for service above.
 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!