11/28/21

NIGHT PRAYER: Sunday 11/28


On Sundays, Night Prayer will focus on an element from the day's celebration of Mass. Tonight we reflect on a song we hear every Advent and yet may miss its application to our own lives...


The well known hymn, O Come Emmanuel, expresses Israel's longing for a savior to come and set God's people free.  Peter Hollens take on this piece reveals the song's plaintive cry... As you listen to the music, reflect on how these words might be your own, might become your own cry, your own prayer, in this Advent season...  To help with this, ponder the questions below the widget as you listen to the music...

If no widget appears below, click here!

O Come, Emmanuel by Peter Hollens


What holds me captive in my life
    and how might the Lord set me free?

In what ways am I exiled, excluded, marginalized
    - and how might the Lord draw me in?

How and what do I mourn and grieve in my life,
    in my circumstances, in my relationships
        and how might the Lord bring me to peace?

What saddened corners of my heart long for cheer
    and how is the Lord inviting me to joy?

What clouds obscure my vision, my hope, my dreams
    and how is the Lord's light 
        leading me out of the shadows?

How do I need God's might, God's strength
    to help me in my weakness?

How do I need God's law of love, his word and rule
    to lead me to the path of life?

Will I pray for the grace to rejoice
    even though my heart may be burdened?

Will I pray for the Lord to come, to be Emmanuel,
    to be "God-with-me"?

Will I look with faith for his coming,
    trusting that indeed, he is here, he is on his way
        and that he will come again and again and again?

Protect me, Lord while I'm awake
and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.
 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!