12/15/21

NIGHT PRAYER: Wednesday 12/15

For tonight's prayer, I invite you to listen to the music first.  
This 18th century poem has known several musical settings,
the one here by Elizabeth Poston is my favorite. As a carol,
the song is all about Jesus though not about his birth.  To
image Christ as an apple tree may strike us as odd but we do
associate him and his cross with the tree of life and certainly 
he is that tree's sweet fruit for which we all hunger.

Jesus Christ the Apple Tree performed by Kantorei
 
If a widget doesn't appear below, click here! 


 
The tree of life my soul hath seen, 

Laden with fruit and always green: (x2) 

The trees of nature fruitless be 

Compared with Christ the apple tree. 
 
His beauty doth all things excel:
 
By faith I know, but ne'er can tell (x2)
 
The glory which I now can see
 
In Jesus Christ the apple tree. 
 
For happiness I long have sought,
 
And pleasure dearly I have bought: (x2) 
I missed of all; but now I see 

'Tis found in Christ the apple tree. 
 
I'm weary with my former toil, 

Here I will sit and rest awhile: (x2)
 
Under the shadow I will be, 

Of Jesus Christ the apple tree. 
 
This fruit doth make my soul to thrive, 

It keeps my dying faith alive; (x2)
 
Which makes my soul in haste to be 

With Jesus Christ the apple tree.
 
All things came to be through you, Lord
and even - and especially -
do the simplest of things
reflect your beauty, your glory
and the splendor of who you are...
 
Teach me to find you in the simple things:
    in the sunrise, in the stars,
    in a smile, in a hug,
    in a new born baby's cry,
    in an apple's juicy sweetness,
        dribbling down my chin...

Let me find my shade, my rest, my peace
'neath the branches of your outstretched arms,
where you always wait to meet me
in the quiet, in my prayer,
with the sweetness of an apple
picked for me because you call me 
the apple of your eye...

Protect me, Lord while I'm awake
and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...
 
Amen.
 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!