1/19/22

NIGHT PRAYER: Wednesday 1/19


I usually position the music in my evening post after the prayer but tonight I invite you to listen to the song before praying the text below.  It's hard for me to believe that this song was written in 1973 - the year I was ordained!  The lyrics reflect that era - but there's a simple truth and beauty in them worthy of our prayerful attention...

All I Ask of You by Gregory Norbet
 
If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!
 
 
All I ask of you 
    is forever to remember me as loving you.
 
Deep the joy of being together in one heart
and for me that's just where it is.

As we make our way through all the joys and pain
can we sense our younger truer selves?

Someone will be calling you to be there for a while,
can you hear their cry from deep within?

Laughter, joy and presence - the only gifts you are:
have you time, I'd like to be with you.

Persons come into the fiber of our lives
and then their shadow fades and disappears.
 
/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / 
 
You've blessed me with many good friends, Lord, 
    so many good people,
    so faithful, caring, loyal and loving:
    family and friends,
    brothers and sisters in faith
    and brothers and sisters of other faiths...
 
I have time in my life these days, Lord,
to recall, to remember, to muse on, to delight in
    the people whose lives have blessed mine...

Tonight, Lord,
I'm remembering friends who
    came into the fiber of my life and whose  
        shadows have faded and disappeared...
 
Some of these friends have gone home to you:
    hold them forever in your strong, loving arms...
 
Some moved away and then we lost touch:
    bless them with memories of the love we once shared...
 
Some friendships ended unhappily, Lord:
    forgive us, heal us and if so be your will,
    unite us again in the bond we once shared...
        
And some friends were friends, Lord, just for a time:
    in your love and your wisdom, when times were hard, 
        you drew us together and together we built
            a bridge over troubled waters,
    helping each other in crossing over
        then going our own ways, strengthened by you
            in the mystery of friendship, still treasured and true...
 
O, Lord!   
So much to be grateful for:
    the joy of simply being together,
    making our way through our hurt and pain,
    sharing companionship, laughter and joy,
    looking to find our better selves,
    sharing with someone who heard our cry,
    listening to someone who shared their pain,
        all in grace, all in peace,
        in the mystery of friendship,
        a gift of your love...
     
Protect us, Lord while we're awake
and watch over us while we sleep
that awake, we might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...
 
Amen.
   

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!