5/16/22

NIGHT PRAYER: Monday 5/16


I know you're present in all four seasons, Lord,
and in the shoulder seasons, too,
weaving all together, one grand seamless garment
spun of wind and weather, snow and rain,
warmth and light, heat and cold
and earth's revolving path around the sun...

And every season has apologists and fans,
each for different reasons, some of which remain 
a total mystery to me...
 
I have some dear friends, Lord,
otherwise sane and stable folks,
who, to my annual bewilderment,
prefer the winter to the summer:
    with all due respect, Go figure! 
 
But it's mid-May now, winter's gone
and these past few days of spring 
played a longed-for, welcome prelude 
to the queen of all the seasons, 
just around the corner, summer,
with all her light and warmth...
 
My affections and prejudice are clear, Lord:
in summer's time 
    I peel away the layers;
    I bare myself to warmth, enveloping
        my body, heart and soul;
    I expose myself to heat, your heat,
        seeping in, deep, to the bone;
    baking me as a loaf of love
        to be offered, broken and shared...
 
And should it get too warm, too hot, too humid
- that's but your Spirit's bold, intense desire
        to prove me in the furnace of divinity,
        to cauterize my wounds in need of healing,
        to melt and soften me for you to shape, again,
        in your image and your likeness...
 
And there's more, so much more, Lord!
Summer's also the season for
    cool shade in leafy glades,
    refreshing dips in oceans, lakes, ponds and pools,
    ice cream cones on an evening's drive,
    time to do what I never find time for,
    reading that book I've been wanting to read, 
    gardens of vegetables, flowers and herbs, 
    tomatoes and corn from Scimone's farm,
    cookouts with family, neighbors and friends,
    the Fourth of July and fireworks,
    ice-cold drinks after mowing the lawn,
    getting away just to get away,
    time to spend, Lord, with you, in prayer... 
 
Summertime!
Bring it on, Lord!
Warm me with the grace and refresh me with the spirit
that only summer brings!

Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep rest in your peace...
 
Amen. 
 
A note about tonight's music:
Sumer Is Icumen In is a traditional English medieval round (not a sacred song) whose title might be translated as Summer has come in. Anonymous, although sometimes attributed to W. de Wycombe, it is the oldest extant piece of six-part polyphonic music, estimated to date from around 1260.
 
Summer Is Icumen In by the Hilliard Ensemble
 
If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!
 

Sing cuccu, cuccu! Sing cuccu!
Sing cuckoo!  Sing cuckoo, cuckoo!
Sumer is icumen in,
Summer has arrived.
Llude sing cuccu!
Loudly sing, cuckoo!
Groweb sed and bloweb me
Seeds grow and meadows bloom
And springb be wde nu,
And the forest springs anew,
Sing cuccu!
Sing, cuckoo!
Awe bleteb after lomb,
The ewe bleats after the lamb,
Lhub after calue cu.
The cow lows after the calf.
Bulluc sterteb, bucke, uerteb,
The bullock jumps, the stag cavorts,
Murie sing cuccu!
Merrily sing, cuckoo!
Cuccu, cuccu wel singes bu, cuccu,
Cuckoo, cuckoo, well you sing, cuckoo;
Ne swik bu nauer nu.
Nor will you ever stop now.






  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!