10/19/22

NIGHT PRAYER: Wednesday 10/19

October's on the wane, Lord,
and the chill we've known some nights
now makes its way past dawn and noon...
 
The mercury reminds me 
frost and cold are on their way
but I'm ready for all that:
    my house is warm, no worries there;
    and for outdoors I'm all prepared
       with coats and boots and hats and scarves,
            and long johns just in case;
    someone else will clear my driveway,
        my doorways - front and back;
    and a widget on my key ring 
        will start and warm my car
    from the comfort of my bedroom
        where my Keurig coffee steams...

And none of that's to mention, Lord,
the warmth that means the most:
    your gracious, saving mercy;
    the support of friends and family;
    the strength I find in faith;
    the hope that's born of trust;
    the peace I know in being loved;
    the comfort and security 
        of knowing you are near...

Blessed in all these ways, Lord, means
I've that much warmth to share,
so make me generous in giving
    'til the homeless find safe shelter
        and warm clothing for the season;
    'til each child has a winter coat,
        warm boots, a hat and mittens;
    'til the lonely find a friend who helps
        the winter pass more quickly;
    'til the doubter finds in my sure faith
        the hope to wait for springtime;
    'til burdened souls are lifted up
        in peace that's mine to share;
    'til the cold that chills the human heart
        is thawed by love divine...
       
Protect us, Lord, while we're awake
and watch over us while we sleep
that awake, we might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen. 
 
Warm the Time of Winter by Ruth Duck

If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!
 

 
When the wind of winter blows
bringing times of solitude
fill the silent icy night
be our heart's compassion 

Holy light, warm our night
warm the time of winter,
Holy light, warm our night
warm the time of winter

When we shiver in despair
when the chill of death comes near 
hold us, Spirit, calm our fear
while the evening deepens
 
When in days of fallen snow
change confounds or love burns low
from the ashes may there rise
phoenix of our growing

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!