6/23/23

NIGHT PRAYER: Friday 6/23


The month of June and Fridays all year 'round are times of special devotion to the Holy Heart of Jesus.  (See this Pause for Prayer) On the Fridays of June, these Night Prayer posts will offer an opportunity to pray with art, with images of the Heart of Christ.  Just as you can read, study, muse and pray over a scripture text, so you can approach a work of art as a subject for prayer (as we did this past Lent). DON'T WORRY! You don't have to be a museum goer or an art historian to pray this way. You need only some time, some art, a prayerful curiosity and a desire to discover how and what the Lord wants to share with you through sacred images.  Tonight we pray with this finger painting (2014) by Holy Cross priest, Ron Raab, CSC.
 
What are your very first impressions?  
    In three words or fewer, what does this image say to you? 
    What in this image surprises you? 
    Does anything in this image puzzle you? put you off?
    How does this image of Jesus relate to images of Christ
        already in your mind and heart?  
    Jesus' eyes are as important in this image as his heart:
        can you look Jesus in the eye here, as he looks at you?
    How does this image invite you to prayer?  
    What in this image will stay with you
        once you've said Amen at the end of tonight's prayer? 
 (Today's Night Prayer follows below the image)
 
    Sacred Heart by Ron Raab, CSC


 



 




 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Your gaze, Lord...
 
Your eyes arrest me, 
stop me in my tracks,
steal me from my daily rounds and
hold me captive in your firm embrace,
    your holy warmth
    in the sacred folds and chambers
    of your spacious, gracious heart...

Your eyes, Lord:
    windows to your soul,
    portal to your heart
where your mercy waits to greet me,
    to meet me and enfold me
    in your never ending love...
 
Your eyes, Lord,
    peer deeply into mine,
    into the windows of my soul,
    the portal to my heart
where I wait for your mercy
    to heal me and to hold me
    in your never ending love...
 
Look my way, Lord,
and with just a simple glance
hold me in your gaze,
stop me in my tracks
and steal me from my daily rounds...
 
Take me captive in your firm embrace,
    your holy warmth,
    in the sacred folds and chambers
    of your spacious, gracious heart,
    in your never ending love...
 
Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
    and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
    and asleep, rest in your peace...
 
Amen.
 
Open the Eyes of My Heart by Paul Baloche 
          performed by Praise and Harmony
 
If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!


Open the eyes of my heart, Lord,
open the eyes of my heart:
I want to see you, I want to see you. 
 
To see you high and lifted up,
shining in the light of your glory.
Pour out your pow'r and love,
as we sing, "Holy, Holy, Holy."
 
Open the eyes of my heart, Lord,
open the eyes of my heart:
I want to see you, I want to see you.

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!