6/1/23

NIGHT PRAYER: Thursday 6/1


 
Just musing
at the end of day,
on some simple things 
for which I'm truly grateful...
 
Simple things like:
   the first day of June
   a friend's hand on my shoulder
   freedom (I too easily take for granted)
   even a hint of your presence at my side
   the close harmony of a cappella voices
   a child's eyes, open wide in wonder
   sensing how God's moving in my life
   a starry sky on a clear night
   a bed to sleep in
   a friend's face in a crowd
   being alive and well and 76 
   remembering good dreams 
   my family of origin, faith and friends
   feeling seen, known, understood, accepted
   picking up with an old friend - right where we left off 
   breakfast, lunch and dinner
   reading something I wish I'd written
   good music, well played, beautifully sung
   sunshine
   every day of 50 years of ministry
   people without pretense, guile or hidden agenda 
   hope, even and especially in hellish times
   flowering trees budding and blooming
   Sauvignon Blanc (New Zealand)
   happy memories of loved ones and good times
   sad memories connecting me with what and whom I've lost
   hearty laughter 
   a well-written poem
   Georgetown, Colorado
   watching growing crops along familiar roads
   cold drinks on hot days and coffee any time
   writing a well turned phrase 
   good news of any kind
   looking up and finding a full moon
   the generous depths of the mercy of God
   a clean shave, a hot shower 
   clouds
   sharing with others in faith, in prayer 
   finally getting around to doing what needed to be done
   Starbucks' egg whites with roasted peppers
   critique that helps me change and grow 
   a loyal friend
   a day with no bad news
   crossing the Sagamore Bridge - east bound!
   waves lapping the shore and my toes
   old friends... and new friends
   the peace of a sleeping baby
   remembering what I'd forgotten 
   classic jazz 
   a kind word from or to a stranger
   word that my friend is doing better
   living in sweatpants and hoodies
   naps 
   embraces, hugs and squeezes
   telling the truth
   a friend who (always) has my back
   slippers
   the satisfaction of a job well done
   Chardonnay (oaked)
   birdsong at dawn
   knowing when to speak - and when not to speak 
   Woods Hill Table's mesclun greens salad
   photos of loved ones I miss
   quiet time, lots and lots of quiet time
   raindrops on the roof, on the window, on my face
   a word - when I need to hear one
   the peace of being in prayer
   the wisdom of human experience
   a good cry , followed by another good cry
   staying up too late, sleeping in 'til ......
   a real letter in the mail 
   sourdough and dark rye bread
   being on time
   finishing the Sunday NYT crossword
   sharing hope with others
   seeing my work bear fruit
   the quiet consolation of a friend who understands
   sounds and scents that unlock memories
   arriving on time
   solitude
   serving others' needs
   seeking and finding the truth
   a good night's sleep
   picking up my dry cleaning
   watching a dad watch his son with love
   long weekends
   silence: longed for, found and healing
   doing the next right thing
   the amazing grace of Jesus
   laundry done, folded, put away
   the patience others have with me
   leaving behind some foolishness
   the sound of the song of people at prayer
   trusting that all shall be well - and finding how true that is
   exchanging smiles with a stranger
   making peace with my neighbor, with God, with myself
   praying morning and night with those who visit my virtual chapel
   living in the moment, a day at a time
   discovering, remembering, believing 
        that I am truly loved...
 
Just musing, 
at the end of day, 
on some simple things
(and some things not so simple!)
for which I'm truly grateful...
 
Thank you, Lord, for all these gifts
and for gifts that I've forgotten,
    gifts I've yet to open,
    gifts I've yet to find
    and gifts you've yet to give...
 
Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
    and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
    and asleep, rest in your peace...
 
Amen.
 
 
If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!
 


'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free,
'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
'Twill be in the valley of love and delight.
When true simplicity is gained,
To bow and to bend we will not be ashamed,
To turn, turn will be our delight,
Till by turning, turning we come round right.

 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!