4/7/24

Monday Morning Offering: 4/8

 
The story of Thomas' doubt and belief is proclaimed every year on the Sunday after Easter.  I wrote today's Monday Morning Offering 12 years ago and have posted a variation of it almost every year since.  I like how this prayer acknowledges my doubt but at the same time reminds me of the depths of my belief - and I hope it might do the same for you...

Good morning, good God!

Still got doubting Thomas on my mind...

There are certainly times when I’m a doubter, Lord,
but also times when, without a doubt,
    I believe in you, my Lord and my God... 
 
No matter how long the winter may be
    how frigid the cold, how deep the snow,
I do, without a doubt, believe
    that spring will come to warm and melt 
        what chills my bones, my soul…
 
No matter how long, how dark the night,
    how real the dreams that haunt my sleep,
I do, without a doubt, believe
    the sun will rise and a new day dawn
        with hope of a new beginning
            born of your mercy and grace...
 
No matter how difficult things may be,
    how alone I am, how lonely I may feel,
I do, without a doubt, believe
    that you and my good friends 
        will have my back and see me through
            ‘til better times are mine...
 
No matter the depth of my pain, Lord,
    no matter how broken my heart,
I do, without a doubt, believe
    that just as others’ hearts are healed
        so, too, will you mend mine...
 
No matter how confused and conflicted I am,
    how entangled my thoughts might be,
I do, without a doubt, believe
    there’s a wisdom, a light and a path to truth
        for your Spirit to guide me on my way,
            drawing closer, always, to you...
 
No matter how far I stray from you, Lord,
    or fail to respect your claim on my life,
I do believe, without a doubt,
    that your heart is always open wide
        to forgive and welcome me back...
 
Even when death comes calling, Lord,
    and my heart is aching with grief and loss,
I do, without a doubt, believe
    in life with you forever
        in the company of friends and family
    and all who've gone before me, Lord,
        marked with the sign of faith...
 
So, if I believe, without a doubt,
    in so many signs of promise and hope
then why do I often, too often doubt,
    that you're there for me, Lord, 
        always here for me, Lord, always with me,
            right by my side?
 
So this morning, Lord, I offer my need
    to believe in you, without a doubt,
    to trust in you, without a doubt,
    to hope in you, without a doubt...
 
And without a doubt 
    to call on you:
        Jesus, my Lord and my God! 
 
 Amen.
 

 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!