4/7/24

NIGHT PRAYER: Sunday 4/7


On Sundays, Night Prayer will take its lead from some element of the day's liturgy.  Tonight we begin with the scene in John's gospel where the disciples are gathered in fear "on the evening of the first day of the week" - which would have been Easter Sunday night. (Even if you were at mass today, it will be helpful to follow the link and read the gospel again...)

Three times, Lord!

In today's gospel you greeted us 
    not once, not twice - but three times
        with the words, Peace be with you!

These are words I need and love to hear, Lord
    - especially when they come from your lips,
        intended for my ears and my heart...

Peace be with you!

I pray for your peace in the world, Lord:
    a world plagued by terrorism and violence;
    a world at war over hatred, bigotry and greed;
    a world torn by strife and dissension;
    a world so much in need of you, Lord,
        so much in need of your peace...

And I need your peace, Lord...

I need your peace
    to nudge me beyond yesterday,
    to help me through this night
    and to point me towards tomorrow
        with wisdom, grace and truth...

I need your peace in my relationships, Lord,
    in my family, in my neighborhood,
    in my parish, at my school,
    where I work and where I play…

I need your peace to mend and reconcile
    what hardens our hearts, 
    what divides and keeps us apart
    what keeps us from forgiving 
        and coming back together...

I need your peace, Lord,
    to calm my anxious fears,
    to steady my unsure steps,
    to settle my mind's confusion 
        and to heal my aching heart...

I need your peace, Lord,
    to forgive my sins and failings,
    to cleanse me of my guilt and shame
    and redirect my wayward path
        to where your Spirit draws me...

I need your peace, Lord:
    the peace for which I hunger,
    the peace for which I thirst,
    the peace that only you can give
    the peace that makes me whole...
 
Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
    and watch over me while I sleep
that awake I might keep watch with you
    and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen. 
 

We Walk by Faith  by Marty Haugen

If a widget doesn't appear below, click here! 


 

 
 
 
 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!