7/7/24

NIGHT PRAYER: Sunday 7/7

 
On Sundays, Night Prayer takes its inspiration from an element of the day's mass. Tonight we'll focus on opening and surrendering our hearts to the grace and strength of Jesus as we heard in today's second reading, which was the subject of my homily today...

Lord, I come in prayer tonight
    with a heart that needs to be emptied,
        a heart that needs to be filled...
 
You showed us the way, Lord:
   you humbled yourself on the Cross,
      you emptied yourself out of love for us
and now you invite us 
   to humble and empty ourselves
       in the same way...

I don't always find it easy, Lord, to empty myself 
    of things I cling to
          things I want to keep and hold on to...
 
Nor do I find it easy to let go:
   to let go the burdens I've befriended,
      that have become part of my identity,
         burdens I cling to for security...
 
But if I don't empty my heart, Lord,
    how will it open to receive the gifts
        of your mercy, healing, consolation and peace?

Teach my heart to know, Lord,
    what to keep and what to lose,
    what to hold on to and what to let go of,
    what to treasure and what to dismiss..

As I let go of what I don't need, Lord,
    fill my heart with a hunger and thirst
for what truly feeds and fills me,
    what deepens and strengthens my faith and hope...

Give me joy in the letting go, Lord,
    and peace in being filled with you,
       with your Word, your grace and your love...
 
Protect me, Lord, while I lie awake
    and watch over me, while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
    and asleep, rest in your peace...
 
Amen.
 
Two options for music tonight, both echoing a prayer from Saint Ignatius and today's scripture from 2 Corinthians...
 
If two widgets don't appear below, click here! 
 

Take, Lord, Receive by John Foley, SJ

Take, Lord, receive, all my liberty.
My memory, understanding, my entire will!

Give me only your love and your grace,
that's enough for me!
Your love and your grace are enough for me!

Take Lord, receive, all I have and possess.
You have given all to me, now I return it.

Take Lord receive, all is yours now.
Dispose of it, wholly according to your will.
 
 
These Alone Are Enough by Dan Schutte
 
If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!

 
Take my heart, O Lord, take my hopes and dreams.
Take my mind with all its plans and schemes.
Give me nothing more than your love and grace.
These alone, O God, are enough for me.

Take my thoughts, Oh Lord, and my memory.
Take my tears, my joys, my liberty.
Give me nothing more than your love and grace.
These alone, O God, are enough for me.

I surrender, Lord, all I have and hold.
I return to you your gifts untold.
Give me nothing more than your love and grace.
These alone, O God, are enough for me.

When the darkness falls on my final days,
take the very breath that sang your praise.
Give me nothing more than your love and grace.
These alone, O God, are enough for me.



  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!