9/8/24

NIGHT PRAYER: Sunday 9/8



On Sundays, Night Prayer takes its lead from an element of the day's liturgy.  This evening we go back to today's gospel where Jesus heals a man who is deaf and mute by speaking the word, "Ephhatha" which means "be opened!" 
 
Suppose Jesus were to come to you right now,
    right now while now while you're praying,
        right here, where you're praying...
 
And imagine Jesus touched your ears and said:
Ephphatha! Be opened! 
Hear me 
    and be open to the word 
        I’ve been speaking to you for years,
especially that one word, 
    that message you’re afraid to hear 
        or don’t want to hear,
            or refuse to hear,
the message, the word that challenges you 
    and calls you to make real changes...
Open your ears to hear the truth.
Remove the ear plugs 
    of your prejudice, bias and political correctness.
Open your ears and your mind and your heart!
Open your ears and listen:
    hear the truth that others are speaking,
        especially those you don't want to hear...
Open your ears and hear
    not just the version of truth that's yours
but listen for the whole truth     
    and nothing but the truth...
Ephphatha!  
Be open to the word I speak to you!

And imagine Jesus touched your lips and said:
Ephphatha! Be opened! 
Open your mouth to speak, 
    to speak clearly about your faith
        to speak plainly to others about your faith,
    sharing with them the peace you find 
        in believing, in trusting, 
            in hoping in me, your God!
Open your mouth and pray - speak to me!
Share with me your good times and your bad times.
Open your mouth 
    and speak the just word, the caring word.
a word of compassion, a word of challenge, 
    a word of mercy a word of pardon
to whomever needs to hear such a word
    from you, from your heart, from your mouth...
Open your mouth and speak with love 
    to those who have no one to love them...
Speak a word of welcome and warmth
    to those who have no place to go...
And speak a word, a gentle word 
    to those who've been wounded by hurt...
Ephphatha!   
Open your mouth and speak to me,
   I love the sound of your voice!

                / / / / / / / / / / /  /

Well, I don't have to imagine, Lord, 
because you are with me now while I'm praying
and you are with me here in the place where I pray...
 
I don't have to imagine, Lord,
because I know you come to me day and night
reaching out your hand
    to touch my ears
        and open my heart to your word,
    and to touch my lips 
        and open my mouth to speak the truth
            and to sing your praise...
 
Open my ears even more, Lord,
    so I catch every word you whisper
and open my voice to its fullness
    to proclaim your mercy, your pardon and peace...
    
Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
    and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
    and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.
 
 
Ephphatha: Be Opened by Carrie Allwine
 
If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!


Ephphatha! Be opened my eyes,
be opened my eyes, 
be opened my eyes, 
Ephphatha! Be opened my ears, Lord
help me to hear your Word  
Ephphatha! Be opened my heart,
be opened my mind, God fill me inside,
with Your Love 
 
1) If you can make a blind man see, 
        open me Lord, set my soul free
 
2) If you can make the deaf hear
     and the mute speak,
        fill my ears and tongue
        with Your Word so sweet
 
3) Help me to receive your love
     Help me to live your love
     Help me to give your love 
        Ephphatha!
        Open me, open me, Lord
 

 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!