10/10/26

NIGHT PRAYER: Saturday 10/10

Regular readers of my page will recognize this poem by William Stafford and my prayer following it which I've offered a number of times.  I'm posting it again while I'm in the midst of sorting through all my belongings and packing for my move next month to Boston.  It's one of those times, then, when I'm especially grateful for the thread of grace that has always and continues to run through my life...

The Way It Is
 
There's a thread you follow. It goes among
things that change. But it doesn't change.
People wonder about what you are pursuing.
You have to explain about the thread.
But it is hard for others to see.
While you hold it you can't get lost.
Tragedies happen; people get hurt
or die; and you suffer and get old.
Nothing you do can stop time's unfolding.
You don't ever let go of the thread.
 
- William Stafford 

    Fiber art by Astrid Monique

Most of us lead lives of many threads. Some are stronger than others, some are of our own making, some are woven into the fabric of our being with or without our permission...   And it's with or without our permission that the Spirit weaves the thread of God's grace and design into the cloth of our being, our lives...  God's thread in our lives doesn't change: pliable yet strong, it hems and mends, it tucks and tailors, it stitches and sutures...

Be the thread, Lord, 
that runs through my whole life:
the thread of grace 
that sews my soul to yours...

Thread your grace through my relationships,
through all my joys and sorrows, 
through the good times and the bad times, 
through all my nights and days...
 
Be the the thread, Lord,
that holds tight, secure and strong
in the face of all that threatens 
to unravel all that holds me 
close to you...

Be the thread I can't explain
- don't really understand -
yet the thread for which I'm 
grateful
for all the ways it stitches up 
the wounds that rend my heart...
 
Be the thread I always cling to,
the thread I won't let go:
the thread of faith, 
my thread of hope,
your golden thread of mercy
that knits my heart to yours...
 
Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
    and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
    and asleep, rest in your peace...
 
Amen.
 
Here's a song about threads and I hope it will have meaning for all of us, and especially for anyone these days, who may be "hanging on" by a thread...

Threads by David Leonard
 
If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!  


I'm tired of trying to keep it all together 
Tired of lies disguising who I really am 
 
There's pain that’s hiding underneath the surface 
I’m tired of trying to keep it on the inside 
 
But here before your love I’m not afraid 
 
I’m gonna let you pull the threads 
   ‘til my heart unravels
Open me up with every breath 
   ‘til the darkness scatters and runs away 
I’m ready to fall apart 
Fall into your loving arms 
I’m gonna let you pull the threads 
   ‘til my heart unravels into Yours 
 
You’re reaching out your hand 
To pull me close again 
You see me as I am still you want me 
 
Here before your love I'm not afraid
You stitch me back together with your grace 
Here before your love I'm not afraid
You stitch me back together with your grace 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!