8/19/11

I thank God for a warm, summer's day...

Image: MacJams

I thank God
for something as simple as a warm summer's day
and for time,
plenty of time,
to sit in the sun, at the shore,
soaking in the warmth of the heart
of the solar system, hoping
that as the sun seeped into my body
so the very heat of God's presence might permeate
the marrow of my soul...

And I thank God
for the constant, gentle breezes
sweeping over bared flesh,
spiriting me to prayer,
reminding me of God's gentle approach...

I thank God
for Yo Yo Ma, as if he were sitting by my car
parked hard by the shore's edge,
playing Bach's unaccompanied cello suites:
the digital mystery of dashboard music
floating over Kalmus Beach just for me --
and for any passersby...

I thank God
for the cello's voice sounding as much within
as around me,
drawing me deeper into my heart's destinations,
where without the strings' Siren voice
I would not dare to tread...

The bow's sound on strings drawing me
down the canyons of my soul:
a sure-footed beast, burdened with my heart,
bearing me on a journey I'd dare not make alone...

Or those same strings on eagle's wings
might swoop and lift me from sheltered heights
to dangered depths where I might meet you, Lord,
and there, sins seen and fears faced,
soar aloft healed, forgiven, and saved...

I thank you God
for something as simple as a warm afternoon
and time,
plenty of time, to sit at the shore
and soak in the heat of your presence,
the warmth of your love and the surety
that even as the sun burns in August skies,
so, always, are you with me...


Related posts here and here     Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

4 comments:

  1. Nicely done! Sounds like your enjoying vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I used to call Nauset Beach in Orleans my "reality beach" because I could sit there and experience what you have so beautifully put into words. I don't get there anymore, but have another rocky, stoney beach in Maine that I am looking forward to in Sept. There is something about being at the water's edge that brings me closer to God, and fills me with such gratitude.
    Thanks,
    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every time I give myself the gift of reading what you write or listening to your homilies I think to myself, I hope that I get to give that guy a hug some day. :)
    larry farrell

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!