7/9/20

NIGHT PRAYER: Friday 7/9



Been trying to figure out, Lord,
if there's a place in this pandemic summer
for a socially distanced vacation...

Part of going on vacation is to get away,
to get away from the usual, the day-to-day
the same old-same old...

Oh, there are so many things I'd love to get away from!

I'd like a vacation from anything that robs me of time for
thinking, musing, imagining and dreaming,
reflecting, praying, resting and reading,
writing, walking, spending time - even wasting time
with the people I love to spend and waste time with...

And I'd like a vacation from anything and everything, Lord,
that keeps me from spending time with you,
from growing closer to you, learning about you,
and growing in your love and grace...

I'd like a vacation from all the foolish stuff that means so little
but somehow fills my days and nights,
my mind and my heart
with distractions, worries and fears...

I'd like a vacation from my own self-importance,
self-pity, self-interest, self-deception
and self-indulgence...

I'd like a vacation, Lord, where I might let go
what burdens and shackles me
confuses and confounds me,
foils and obstructs me...

I'd like a vacation with you, Lord,
with you as my companion,
your word as my guide book,
your wisdom my map
and your love my refreshment along the way...

I don't have to go far, Lord, to vacation like this
so help me make the time and find a place,
even right where I am,
to vacation with you this summer:
a place where your peace
is my sunshine and shade...

Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
and watch over me as I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.

Shining Lights by Burt Burleson



Longings of the world and every heart.
Callings on a life to find its part.
Inklings deep within, praying for a sign,
Hoping for the day when we will find... 

A city on a hill
A dream beyond the night
A fountain that will fill
A light that’s shining bright

To illumine every sphere
To raise our sights above,
To make the pathway clear
To lead us in God’s love.
 


Saying yes to life and each new day,
Taking each new step in mercy’s way.
Healing who we are, setting spirits free,
Knowing that we all are called to be...

Holding holy gifts with grateful hands.
Blessing hallowed lives with sacred plans.
Greeting greater truth, waking as we go,
Walking in a world that needs to know...




     
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!