10/7/21

NIGHT PRAYER: Thursday 10/7

 
Lord, I'm working on my homily for Sunday:
you know the scriptures for the day
so I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't laugh too loudly
when I presume to preach about wisdom!
 
Just thinking about wisdom
reminds me of how foolish, how unwise,
I often am and of just how much
I need to cling to your wisdom 
every day of my life...
 
I need to cling to your wisdom as I make decisions
- big ones and small ones, every day choices -
that make a difference in my life
and in the lives of those around me...
 
I need to cling to your wisdom, Lord
when foolishness seeks to seduce me
from your will to mine,
from your ways to my ways,
from your truth to my fantasy...
 
I need to cling to your wisdom, Lord,
when I'm shaping my ideas,
forming opinions
and pledging my allegiance
to party, power and privilege...

I need to cling to your wisdom, Lord,
when I'm lost, confused or discouraged
lest I take the wrong path,
succumb to my doubts
or abandon my hope in you...
 
I need to cling to your wisdom, Lord,
because you are my way,
you are my truth
and you are my life:
without you I'm lost and have nothing...
 
I need to cling to your wisdom, Lord:
she is the light in my shadows,
the strength in my weakness
my hope in hard times
and joy in my sorrow... 
 
I need to cling to your wisdom, Lord,
to save me from playing the fool,
to help me to know the truth
and to lead me to your mercy and grace...
 
Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
and asleep, rest in your peace...
 
Amen.
 

If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!

May You Cling to Wisdom by Steven C. Warner


 (This song was composed for a wedding, thus the line
in the third verse, "lead you both to life."  For our purpose
here, you might think "lead you all to life.")
 
May you cling to wisdom for she will protect you
and if you cherish her, she will keep you safe.

Take heed my children and listen to my words
and all your years shall be rich and filled with joy.
For I have taught you in ways of wisdom 
and paths of honesty.

More than all else, set a guard upon your heart
since there is found the wellspring of your soul!
Upon your journey let wisdom grace you
with steadfast vision.

So may you treasure the things I have to say.
These words of truth shall lead you both to life.
Pray for perception, hold fast to wisdom,
do not forget her.


  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!