7/22/24

NIGHT PRAYER: Monday 7/22



As I watch the news and progress of current events, I'm continually struck by how people on both sides of critical issues press their hopes, worries and concerns.  I'm also aware of how, in a variety of ways, people's faith grounds, shapes and colors their thoughts, positions and - passions.  Against this background, a verse from Psalm 146 keeps ringing in my ears and prayer: '"Do not put your trust in princes, in human beings who cannot save."   
 
No, I'm not worried that folks are mistaking their candidate for God.  There's enough evidence to the contrary all around to keep us from such idolatry. Still, the intensity of fervent, even desperate rhetoric makes me wonder if we may have temporarily forgotten in just whose hands lies our justice, peace, welfare and happiness.  I don't need to be reminded that the government we elect has enormous influence on, and power over the world and our individual lives. But there are times when we might do well to recall that it's in God we place our ultimate trust, not our solons - and that the homeland we hope, at last, to claim is not even of this world.  
 
It's in that light, then, that I offer Psalm 146 as the core of our prayer tonight.  This post is not about politics, it's about perspective...  Regardless of whom we vote for, the psalmist's words here might well be a prayer we all could offer as we make our way to the polls this fall...
 
Praise the Lord, my soul.
 
I will praise the Lord all my life;
    I will sing praise to my God as long as I live. 
 
Do not put your trust in princes,
    in human beings, who cannot save. 
When their spirit departs, they return to the ground;
    on that very day their plans come to nothing. 
 
Blessed are those whose help is the God of Jacob,
    whose hope is in the Lord their God.
 
He is the Maker of heaven and earth,
    the sea, and everything in them—
    he remains faithful forever. 
He upholds the cause of the oppressed
    and gives food to the hungry.
 
The Lord sets prisoners free,        
    the Lord gives sight to the blind,
the Lord lifts up those who are bowed down,
    the Lord loves the righteous. 
 
The Lord watches over the foreigner
    and sustains the fatherless and the widow,
    but he frustrates the ways of the wicked.
 
The Lord reigns forever,
    your God, O Zion, for all generations.
 
Praise the Lord.
 
Help me put my trust in you, Lord
    and in those I find worthy 
        of my confidence, hope and reliance...

Help me put my trust in your word, Lord
    and in those whose speech is
        honorable, true and just...

Help me put my trust in your promise, Lord
    and in those who'll make good
        what they pledge to accomplish...
 
Help me put my trust in your strength, Lord
    and in those who'll use might
        to lift up the weak...
 
Help me put my trust in your wisdom, Lord
    and in those who count on
        knowledge, common sense and prudence...
 
Help me put my trust in you, Lord, 
    and in those who with me, trust in a power
        higher than all we know...
         
Protect me, Lord, while I'm awake
    and watch over me while I sleep
that awake, I might keep watch with you
    and asleep, rest in your peace...

Amen.

It's about perspective...
 
This Is My Song by Jean Sibelius
    lyrics by Lloyd Stone (verses 1,2)
        and Blake Morgan (verse 3)
arranged by Blake Morgan
    performed by Voces8
 
If a widget doesn't appear below, click here!
 

  
This is my song, O God of all the nations, 
A song of peace for lands afar and mine. 
This is my home, the country where my heart is, 
Here are my hopes, my dreams, my holy shrine. 
 
But other hearts in other lands are beating, 
With hopes and dreams as true and high as mine. 
 My country’s skies are bluer than the ocean, 
And sunlight beams on cloverleaf and pine. 
 
But other lands have sunlight too, and clover, 
And skies are everywhere as blue as mine. 
This is my song, O God of all the nations, 
A song of peace for their land and for mine. 
 
So let us raise this melody together, 
Beneath the stars that guide us through the night; 
If we choose love, each storm we’ll learn to weather, 
Until true peace and harmony we find, 
This is our song, a hymn we raise together; 
A dream of peace, uniting humankind.
 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

1 comment:

  1. If we choose love. those are the most beautiful words of that lovely song. may it be the hymn for all our nations under the Spirit of our merciful God.

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!