9/20/24

Pause for Prayer: FRIDAY 9/20

Nine years ago this week I was in Hawaii for the wedding of two dear friends.  Here's a post from that time, a short report of one of my first experiences in the islands...

 A friend back home recommended Buzz's place so on my first night out here I gave it a try.  Truth be told I was looking forward to an evening by myself but taking a seat at the bar for dinner the guy next to me immediately struck up a conversation.  So an artist/sculptor and a priest/writer spent the evening talking personal history, philosophy, theology, art - and the papacy.  The conversation was amazing and the sharing remarkable.  It was, indeed, a gift and a blessing - prompting this prayer...

Lord,
I have no way of knowing 
how often, when or where
you plant surprises 
in my daily life...

But it's a safe bet I miss a lot of them
when I'm too busy, too tired, too lazy,
too turned in on myself
to see the may blessings
you shower on my life...

Some would say tonight's meeting was by chance
    - a coincidence, a serendipity -
but I know this conversation 
was so much more than that:
    it held too much of value
    to have have been a stroke of luck...
 
So for times of grace 
    and gifts like this 
I thank you, Lord - Great Spirit -
    as my new friend names and calls you;
I pray I won't miss any gifts 
    as fine as this, O Lord,
when you drop them in my lap
    -0r on the bar stool next to mine...
 
Amen.
 

  

SUBSCRIBE HERE!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!